What’s the opportunity?
We’re looking for a Director of Sales who can own the sales function at Gruntwork. To date, we’ve asked a small number of DevOps engineers to handle sales calls in addition to their core work. As our company and lead volume have grown, our team wants to stay focused on core product development projects, leaving sales without the attention it deserves. Now we’re looking to make our first dedicated sales hire and eventually build up a multi-member sales team at Gruntwork.
As the Director of Sales, we’ll look to you to create a sales strategy, handle all incoming leads from initial inquiry to signed contract, refine our pitch, measure our success, and lay the groundwork for building up a future sales team. You’ll be supported by our current world-class engineers as they transition from “engineer sales person” to “sales engineer.” You’ll work closely with and report directly to the founders.
What You’ll Work On
- Lead sales strategy at Gruntwork. Gruntwork has become a multi-million dollar company with no outside investment, no debt, and a few humble engineers leading the way on sales. How do we transition from an engineer-led sales process to a more effective one led by sales? How do we measure our success? You’ll lead the charge to answer those questions and implement the strategy.
- Design the sales pitch. Our sales presentation today involves Gruntwork engineers speaking to customer engineers with no slide deck needed. Customer love the detail and first-hand technical knowledge, but our engineers need the ability to focus on building our product. You’ll help us craft an updated sales pitch for a target market (software engineers and DevOps engineers) that is averse to the classic Powerpoint and hungry for the technical details.
- Streamline our sales workflow. We are a company of engineers so a part of us dies when we see manual data entry taking up time unnecessarily. We’ll look to you to design a streamlined sales workflow that captures key data and enables key metrics using either our existing CRM (Salesforce), or to make the case for a new CRM.
- Manage deals. We receive a growing number of leads each month and are struggling to keep up. As our first dedicated sales hire, you’ll roll up your sleeves and respond to leads, lead sales calls, and close the deals. You’ll engage with some of the largest enterprise companies in the world and throughout the world as well as cutting-edge new startups.
- Light marketing. You’ll primarily focus on converting qualified leads into signed contracts, but there may be low-hanging fruit opportunities to bring in more leads. We’ll look to you to identify and coordinate those opportunities, backed by additional budget if needed.
- Grow a sales team. You’ll lay the groundwork for building up a multi-person sales team. Once we can make the case that hiring another person in sales will be a positive return on investment, we’ll look to you to recruit, train, and manage the growing team.
- Above-Market Salary. To reduce bias and increase transparency, we compute all salaries using formulas. The formula factors in your title and location and uses a multiplier to produce a result that’s above market for that title and location.
- Profit-Sharing Bonus. We set aside a pot of money at the end of each year based on profits and distribute bonuses according to a formula that uses as inputs your level within the company and the length of your tenure at the company.
- Performance Bonus. We give performance-based bonuses as often as once a quarter, depending on your performance. NOTE: We have not yet decided on a commission structure, if any.
- Progressive Equity. We grant progressive equity to all new Grunts. This means that, in the case of a large exit (e.g., acquisition), the financial benefits get distributed more evenly across the whole team rather than solely going to the founders.
- Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance. We offer a range of high-quality plans with a large portion paid by the company.
- FSA and HSAs. We don’t contribute to these accounts, but we do offer them as an option.
- 401(k). We contribute a portion of your salary to your pension or 401(k).
- Disability insurance. If you get disabled, we have a policy that will pay out a portion of your salary.
- Hardware budget. We’ll buy you a brand new benchmark Apple laptop upon joining. It will be owned by you, not the company.
- Personal Budget. We’ll give you a personal budget of one thousand dollars per month to spend on your workspace (e.g., a co-working space), health (e.g., gym, yoga), time (e.g., babysitter), and/or learning (e.g., books, courses).
- Minimum Vacation. We require that you take at least 4 weeks of vacation per year. And we’ll track it to make sure you do!
Life First, Then Work
We believe in planning our work around our lives, not the other way around. To help achieve that we offer:
- Remote work that lets you control your hours and physical location.
- Normal working hours that usually amount to not more than ~40h per week, and no working on weekends or holidays.
- Deliberate project planning that takes into account the time zone of all team members.
- A minimum vacation policy where you must take at least 4 weeks per year away from work.
- No one carrying a pager and no on-call rotation. We enable this by only offering support contracts with SLAs of responses on business days / hours only.
What time zones do we work in?
While Gruntwork generally hires anywhere between San Francisco and Berlin, candidates for this role must be within the GMT-7 to GMT-3 time zones, with a preference for being located in the USA or Canada. We expect you’ll work primarily with customers and fellow Grunts in those time zones, with limited engagement with customers worldwide and Grunts in Europe. Working during reasonable hours is a priority for us.