Hello! We are Biomage, a small startup deeply passionate about human health. We work in the area of single cell sequencing analysis – a new technology that has taken research biology by storm. Our mission is to build a world-class single cell analysis platform in the cloud to enable biologists to turn their datasets into meaningful biology and make discoveries.
We are working with some of the best research institutions: our biggest customers are Harvard Medical School, Glasgow Polyomics and Edinburgh Genomics who are also our early adopters. We currently have a waiting list of more customers eager to use the platform!
Our product is open source, you can check it out on Github! Currently, it consists of a React based UI, API written in Node.js and a backend written in Python that computes single cell analysis tasks. Everything is deployed via an automated CI/CD pipeline (Github Actions) to an AWS-managed Kubernetes cluster.
The platform is still in a very early development stage – there are many core features and infrastructure yet to be built. The engineering team consists of two full-time and a single part-time engineer. There is no division between backend, frontend or testing roles – each engineer contributes to any part of the codebase and is responsible for writing unit tests and completing new features according to the definition of done.
What we offer
- Opportunity to change the world by building tools to help the improvement of human health.
- Opportunity to grow the startup with us into a successful company.
- Competitive salary and shares package
- Laptop and any other essential technical equipment.
- Reading club – books to help with your professional development are on us to help with your personal development
- Home cleaning – we will find somebody to take over some of those mundane tasks to help you focus on what matters most to you
What you can expect
- An agile, diverse and multidisciplinary team
- A supportive, inclusive and transparent working environment where team mates learn from and help each other all the time.
- A place to look at things differently, challenge and offer solutions.
- You will be working in a (still) small startup where the whole company consists of ~10 people. You will have a unique opportunity to make a significant impact and actively drive change in the technology, direction and culture of the startup.
- A fast-paced environment of continuous improvement where you optimise for impact and velocity.
What we are looking for
We are looking for an experienced, talented software engineer to join the engineering team and help us build the first version of the single cell sequencing pipeline and onboard our increasing number of early adopters. No previous knowledge in biology or bioinformatics is required.
This position is for full time, 100% remote work, where the official time zone of the engineering team is the one in the UK (GMT, GMT + 1).
We would expect you to:
- Always put the user first.
- Be an active participant during technical decisions and discussions.
- Be comfortable to work in a rapidly changing environment.
- Be passionate and empathetic – you fall in love with problems, not solutions. You’re a doer, and a helper.
- Take pride in your work.
- Think like an owner.
- Experiment, test, try, fail and learn continuously.
- Have experience and desire to work as part of a close-knit team.
For this role, you must have:
- Experience in working as part of a team to ship high-quality software using agile development processes.
- Some experience and knowledge in web development and containerised applications.
How to apply
Send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will be in contact with you shortly!
To apply for this job please visit remoteok.io.